Lemon chess pie has all of the creamy taste of traditional chess pie, but it surely makes use of lemon juice and zest for a taste twist. This can be a Lemon Pie recipe you’ll love!
Be certain that to take a look at my recipe for Chocolate Chess Pie too!
This recipe is made in partnership with Imperial Sugar. Click here for the FULL RECIPE.
What Is A Lemon Chess Pie?
Chess Pie is a traditional Southern pie recipe, that really originated in England. With out entering into an excessive amount of historical past, it’s a candy pie recipe that may be very straightforward to make with easy substances. At the moment I’m making a lemon model of the traditional, and I would say that I choose the tart lemon filling over the unique! The filling nearly tastes like lemon curd, so should you like lemon curd, you’ll LOVE this recipe!
Substances for This Lemon Chess Pie Recipe:
This recipe makes a 9-inch pie. Be certain that to jump over to Imperial Sugar for the FULL RECIPE
- Pie dough. You should utilize homemade pie dough or you should buy retailer purchased!
- Massive Eggs. The eggs are greatest at room temperature for this recipe so the pie bakes into a fair custard.
- Granulated sugar.
- Lemons. You’ll use the juice and the zest!
- Melted Butter
- Cornmeal. Not stone floor or course cornmeal. An everyday or nice cornmeal works greatest for this pie recipe.
- All function flour.
- Kosher salt
- Powdered sugar or whipped cream for garnish
- Crust: Unroll the pie dough right into a 9- inch pie pan. Trim the surplus dough, flute the perimeters, and prick the underside of the dough with a fork. Place the pie dough within the fridge for 20 minutes, when you make your filling.
- Filling: In a big bowl whisk the eggs. Progressively add within the granulated sugar and zest, whisking till mixed and till thickened.
- Add within the lemon juice, melted butter, cornmeal, flour, and salt and whisk till integrated.
- Bake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Take away the pie dough from the fridge. Pour the filling into the chilled pie crust. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes on the lowest rack within the oven till the middle is about and the highest is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour then refrigerate for not less than 4 hours earlier than serving.
- Mud with powdered sugar if desired.
Why Does Chess Pie Have Cornmeal?
Cornmeal is a stabilizer within the pie, holding the filling from being runny. Buttermilk pie and chess pie are very related, nevertheless, cornmeal is just utilized in chess pie!
Getting ready The Pie Shell:
You should utilize both a home made pie dough or a retailer purchased dough. You may even use a frozen pie crust as effectively. I’m all about making issues straightforward! In my recipe you don’t pre-bake this crust earlier than filling it, however you completely may partially bake it should you choose that methodology. I’ve completed it each methods and haven’t seen a distinction, besides the crusts browns somewhat extra when it’s partially baked. PRO TIP: Place your pie on the bottom rack within the oven to make sure the underside of the pie will get absolutely cooked!
How To Retailer Lemon Chess Pie?
Retailer the pie hermetic within the fridge for as much as 5 days. This pie is ok left at room temperature as effectively, however the filling will get softer, because it warms, and received’t slice fairly as properly.
Can You Freeze Lemon Chess Pie?
Sure completely! This pie freezes superbly. Retailer it frozen for up t a month for greatest freshness. Thaw it out in a single day within the fridge.
Jump over to Imperial Sugar for the full and printable recipe.
PIN for later: