Buttery, basic lower out sugar cookies get a brown sugar twist with my Brown Sugar Lower Outs! Get pleasure from them plain or embellish them for the vacations!
This recipe was made in partnership with my associates at Imperial Sugar. CLICK HERE for the full recipe!
Lower out cookies are basic Christmas cookies, and including brown sugar to a sugar cookie recipe is a fast and straightforward twist on the standard cookie. I began with my excellent easy sugar cookie recipe, so should you love that recipe as a lot as I do, you’ll love these too! The addition of brown sugar will impart a softer texture and a lightweight brown sugar taste, whereas nonetheless holding the form of even your most intricate cookie cutter with NO CHILLING NEEDED!! You too can use darkish brown sugar should you desire a fair deeper brown sugar style. Love this simple cookie recipe!
Sure and no…that’s in all probability not the reply you have been on the lookout for! Perhaps the proper reply right here is “a bit of”. My favourite lower out cookies are gentle however with crisper edges, and brown sugar does lend a softer cookie, as brown sugar has extra moisture than granulated, however you’ll nonetheless obtain these crisp edges.
Brown Sugar Lower Out Components:
Click on right here: Full list of ingredients and printable recipe
- Chilly butter. I exploit chilly butter in my recipe to forestall spreading with out having to sit back the dough. You may nonetheless chill the dough if you would like, however I don’t discover it’s crucial.
- Mild brown sugar. You need to use darkish brown sugar as nicely, or a mix of the 2. I desire gentle brown sugar in these, as you continue to get the caramel taste with out including extra moisture to the cookie.
- Massive egg
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- All function flour
Icing isn’t crucial on these sugar cookies, however should you like adorning cookies this can be a fast and easy icing to make should you don’t wish to go to all the difficulty of creating royal icing!
- Powdered sugar
- Water or milk
- Mild corn syrup
Unsalted vs Salted Butter
You need to use with both salted or unsalted butter on this recipe. It’s a private choice of mine to make use of salted, as I simply desire the style. Should you select to make use of unsalted you don’t want to extend the quantity of extra salt on this recipe.
- Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and put aside.
- Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar collectively on medium pace for two minutes till gentle and fluffy.
- Add within the egg, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and proceed mixing till mixed and clean, scraping the perimeters of the bowl as crucial with a rubber spatula.
- Flip the mixer pace to low and add within the flour, mixing till the dough comes collectively.
- Divide dough into 2 sections and on a floured floor, utilizing a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/3 inch thick. Utilizing a cookie cutter, lower out shapes of the dough along with your desired cutter(s) and place the cookies on the ready baking sheet 1 1/2- inches aside. If you’re baking in batches, preserve the unused dough within the fridge till prepared to make use of to forestall dough from getting too heat.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes till the perimeters are calmly golden. Enable the cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes after which switch them to a wire rack to chill fully.
- Icing: In a bowl, whisk collectively the powdered sugar, water, and corn syrup till clean.
- Unfold or pipe onto cooled cookies. You need to use a drop of meals coloring to realize totally different colours. Enable the icing to arrange fully earlier than storing.
Listed here are a couple of tips I’ve discovered alongside the way in which to maintain your cookies from spreading:
- Use chilly butter to begin. Dice chilly butter and blend it into the sugar with out permitting it to come back as much as room temperature. This retains the dough cooler.
- Chill the dough. Even should you begin with chilly butter you possibly can nonetheless chill the dough to be on the secure facet if spreading is a priority, or should you’re utilizing intricate cookie cutters.
- Be sure to’re utilizing massive eggs within the cookie dough. Should you purchase additional massive eggs on accident (I’ve completed it) it will add additional moisture into your cookie, altering the consistency of the dough and inflicting the dough to unfold extra.
- Granulated sugar has a decrease moisture content material than brown sugar, and can usually unfold much less and offer you crisper edges. It is a brown sugar lower out cookie recipe, so that you in all probability don’t wish to sub out the sugar, however you definitely can.
- To stop much more spreading, you should use shortening instead of butter, as butter has the next moisture content material. I desire baking with butter, however shortening is an possibility!
I desire a thicker cutout cookie, however you are able to do no matter you want! I discover that utilizing a rolling pin, the thickness proper between 1/4″ – 1/3″ is the candy spot. I usually err on the facet of a thicker cookie. However I do know so many individuals like a extra skinny and crisp cookie, which is nice too as you may get extra cookies out of your dough!
I these cookies don’t want altering, BUT you may get artistic with the extract flavors you employ. Listed here are few to attempt:
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract
PIN for later: