You’re going to like making this Tacky Baked Mostaccioli for household dinner! A comforting pasta recipe made with tender mostaccioli noodles tossed in a wealthy meat sauce, layered with three forms of cheese after which baked to golden, bubbly perfection.
In search of extra cozy pasta recipes? Attempt my crock pot mac & cheese recipe!
Simple & Cozy Mostaccioli Recipe
Pasta lovers, this one’s for you! This casserole is the final word consolation meals that the entire household will love. Baked mostaccioli is a hearty pasta dish made with melty cheese, meaty Italian sausage and candy marinara sauce. Topped with a crisp layer of seasoned breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, this recipe is stuffed with scrumptious taste and top-of-the-line weeknight dinners!
Baked mostaccioli is ideal to arrange forward for freezing and simple reheating, making it nice for meal prep and potlucks, too!
Mostaccioli is a sort of dry, tubular pasta that could be a specialty in Southern Italy. Just like penne, each have angled ends and are sometimes interchangeable in recipes like this baked pasta casserole! The principle distinction is that mostaccioli pasta has a easy exterior, whereas penne has ridges.
Baked mostaccioli, baked penne, and baked ziti are all kind of the identical dish other than the kind of pasta used within the recipe. These casseroles all contain pasta tubes mixed with purple sauce and floor meat, layered with cheese after which baked.
What You’ll Want
This mostaccioli recipe is crammed with Italian-inspired elements and genuine flavors. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Pasta: This baked pasta recipe requires mostaccioli pasta (nonetheless, you can even make this recipe as baked ziti or baked penne must you substitute a majority of these pasta noodles as a substitute).
- Italian Sausage: Good high quality floor sausage meat, both delicate or spicy relying on choice.
- Marinara Sauce: I take advantage of jarred marinara sauce for comfort. Be happy to make use of recent or home made marinara sauce you probably have some useful!
- Cheese: This pasta bake makes use of three sorts of cheeses. Ricotta cheese for its creamy texture, mozzarella cheese for the basic Italian taste, and parmesan cheese (freshly grated is greatest!).
- Garlic: Complete cloves, minced.
- Onion: Diced.
- Italian Seasoning: You may as well use a mix of dried basil, oregano, and parsley.
- Breadcrumbs: Panko or an identical model. Be aware that unseasoned is greatest!
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Find out how to Make Mostaccioli
All of it begins with a candy meat sauce! Right here’s the right way to put together this straightforward pasta dinner:
Make the Meat Sauce: Saute the onions, then add within the floor Italian sausage to cook dinner till browned. Drain any grease after which pour within the jar of marinara. Go away the sauce to simmer on low.
Make the Cheese Combination: In a separate bowl, combine collectively the ricotta, mozzarella, among the parmesan, together with the Italian seasoning and an egg.
Make the Breadcrumb Topping: Flippantly toast the breadcrumbs in a skillet with the garlic powder and remaining parmesan. Set this combination apart for now.
Boil the Pasta & Toss With Sauce: Prepare dinner the mostaccioli pasta al dente (it’s greatest to observe the package deal instructions right here, as cooking occasions might range). Pressure the noodles after which toss them with the meat sauce till all the things is evenly coated.
Assemble: To assemble your pasta bake, start by including a layer of pasta into the underside of a baking dish. Prime with the ricotta cheese combination, adopted by one other pasta layer. Lastly, sprinkle the breadcrumb topping evenly overtop.
Bake: Bake the casserole lined in foil, earlier than eradicating the foil for the previous few minutes of baking time. The breadcrumbs ought to be a pleasant golden brown if you take away your baked mostaccioli from the oven.
Suggestions & Variation Concepts
- Prepare dinner the Pasta Al Dente: Boil the pasta noodles till they’re simply al dente, or nonetheless slightly agency. Because you’ll be baking the pasta within the sauce, keep away from overcooking it.
- Use High quality Substances: A pleasant high quality Italian sausage is a should! You possibly can at all times test together with your native deli or butcher store, as they could have a greater choice than grocery shops. You may as well use different floor meat rather than the sausage, equivalent to floor beef, floor pork, or floor turkey. Ensure that to get an excellent high quality marinara sauce as effectively!
- Use Recent Cheeses: Belief me, this makes a world of distinction. Freshly grate your mozzarella and parmesan for the very best and most genuine flavors, minus all of the added sodium and preservatives.
- Substitute Totally different Pasta: Each penne noodles and ziti noodles can be utilized rather than mostaccioli pasta.
- Make Vegetarian Baked Mostaccioli: Use a mix of your favourite diced veggies rather than sausage. Some good choices are mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, butternut squash, and spinach.
This baked mostaccioli is a meal all on it’s personal! Nevertheless, you’ll be able to simply serve it together with a recent backyard salad and Homemade Garlic Bread for a extra full Italian-style dinner. Listed here are another ideas for what to serve it with:
Find out how to Retailer and Reheat Extras
Leftover baked mostaccioli could be saved hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Reheat within the microwave on low, or within the oven till heated by means of.
Can I Freeze this Baked Pasta Dish?
Completely! You possibly can prep and freeze this baked mostaccioli casserole in a freezer-safe dish, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and an additional layer of aluminum foil, for as much as 3-4 months. Thaw the dish in a single day within the fridge after which bake as regular.
You may as well bake this pasta casserole immediately from frozen, including an additional 10-Quarter-hour to the cooking time.
Scrumptious and comforting Tacky Baked Mostaccioli is ideal for household dinner! A comfortable pasta casserole made with tender mostaccioli noodles tossed in a wealthy meat sauce, layered with three forms of cheese and baked to golden perfection.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 kilos floor Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28- ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 massive egg
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups grated low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup recent grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup unseasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound Mostaccioli
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make the meat sauce: Add olive oil to a big skillet over medium warmth. Prepare dinner the onions till they’re softened, 3 – 4 minutes. Add within the floor sausage and cook dinner till the sausage is not pink. Add within the garlic and cook dinner for a further minute. Drain any extra grease and add within the marinara sauce. Flip the warmth to low and let the sauce simmer whilst you full the following steps.
- Make the cheese combination: In a big bowl mix the egg, ricotta, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, mozzarella, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Put aside.
- Make the breadcrumb topping: In a small skillet soften the butter on medium warmth. Proceed cooking and stirring the butter till it turns into a golden brown. Take away the skillet from the warmth and add within the Panko, garlic powder, and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Put aside.
- Boil the pasta: Prepare dinner the pasta based on package deal instructions and drain completely. Add the pasta to the meat sauce and stir to mix evenly.
- Assemble: Add half of the pasta combination evenly into the underside of a 9×13 baking dish. Unfold the ricotta cheese combination evenly on high. Unfold the remaining pasta on high. Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs evenly on high.
- Bake: Cowl the pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Take away the foil and bake for a further 5 – 10 minutes till the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Key phrases: mostaccioli recipes, straightforward pasta recipes, pasta casserole